The Bible makes it abundantly clear that the Lord alone is “the One.” Consider the following:
- “Before Me there was no God formed, Neither shall there be after Me. I, even, I, am the LORD; And beside Me there is no Saviour." (Isaiah 43:10,11)
- “Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.” (Isaiah 44:8)
- “I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me…” (Isaiah 45:5)
- “That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.I am the LORD, and there is none else.” (Isaiah 45:6)
- “Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me.” (Isaiah 45:21)
- “Yet I am the LORD thy God from the land of Egypt, and thou shalt know no god but me: for there is no saviour beside me.” (Hosea 13:4)
- “And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.” (Mark 10:18)
- “Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” (John 14:6)
- “Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.” (Acts 4:12)
Our current president, Barack Obama, has been declared by some of his political supporters to be “the One.” Some have even went so far as to suggest that he is “the One for whom the world has been waiting.” In what I consider a sin of unbelievable hubris, President Obama has failed to denounce such proclamations about himself, in spite of his profession of faith in the true “One”—Jesus Christ.
In all fairness to our president, I suppose we’ve all been guilty of thinking of ourselves rather than the Lord Jesus Christ as “the One.” After all, aren’t we guilty of such unbelievable hubris every time we insist upon getting our way rather than doing God’s will? Furthermore, aren’t we guilty of such unbelievable hubris every time we insist upon our church or others doing what we think rather than what God’s Word teaches?
To mistake ourselves as “the One” is the most monstrous kind of identity crisis. Yet, the scary truth is, it’s a spiritual mental disorder that we’re guilty of every time we sin against God.