The All-Important Question (Jeremiah 35:13)
The number seven is the biblical number of spiritual perfection. It is used as no other number in the Bible. It occurs in Scripture 287 times, which happens to be the total of 7 x 41. The word “seventh” occurs 98 times, which happens to be the total of 7 x 14. The expression “seven-fold” occurs seven times. The combination of seven with other numbers, such as 57 or 107, occurs 112 times, which happens to be the total of 7 x 16. And finally, the word “seventy” occurs 56 times, which happens to be the total of 7 x 8.
The Hebrew word for “seven” comes from a root word which means “to be full or satisfied”; that is, “to have enough.” One may conclude from this and the preponderance of the number seven throughout the sacred text that the Scripture is the “full” written revelation of God. In other words, it is “enough!”
It has been astutely observed that the Bible doesn’t tell us everything that we want to know, but everything that we need to know. Everything we need to know to live our lives is in the Word of God. The all-important question is whether or not we will learn what the Bible says and live by it.
THE BIBLE IS ALL WE NEED
- It provides us with the opportunity to be saved and with the assurance that we are saved. (Romans 10:13-15; 1 John 5:9-13)
- It is our instruction book for life. (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
- It is our spiritual GPS. (Psalm 119:105)
- It is our lie detector. (Isaiah 8:20; Acts 17:11)
- It is real soul food, the spiritual nutrition daily required for us to live spiritually healthy lives. (Deuteronomy 8:2-3)
- It is our sword and means of overcoming the adversary. (Ephesians 6:14-17; Matthew 4:1-11).